"; if ((date("G") >= 0) && (date("G") <= 23)) { // if ($_SERVER["SCRIPT_NAME"] == "/archives/2003_08.html") { // if (stristr($_ENV["HTTP_REFERER"], 'playground')) { ?>

February 17, 2005

A Swimming Good Time

For the first time ever Kate and I headed out to the community pool to give it a try. This was Kate's very first pool visit. It wasn't the best day to go to the pool because it was sunny then cloudy, sunny then cloudy, sunny then cloudy. When it was sunny the cooler water was refreshing, but when it was cloudy it was a little frigid for our taste. Kate wanted to go in the pool but when it became too cold she wanted out. So she was in and out the whole time.

I wanted to take better pictures of Kate in her little bathing suit but since we were alone I was more concerned for her safety then shooting good pictures. She kept wanting to run down the side of the pool to the deep end. It made me crazy. I think, though, she was just having fun with me chasing her. The tip-off was when she would pause, look back at me and smirk.

I was finally able to take a few pictures of Kate after we were dressed and ready to go home from the pool. I got in 3 pictures before Kate wanted to climb a wobbly poolside plastic chair. I jumped up to help her and dropped the camera. The LCD monitor cracked. The LCD is shot, but luckily the camera still works. Oh life with an active toddler!

February 14, 2005

Happy Valentine's Day!

These are a few pictures I took of Kate in her Valentine's Day duds. Her latest word has been "uh oh." Everything is "uh oh." In the last picture you can see her at the "oh" in her "uh oh" because her helium balloon slipped out of her fingers. See the little red ribbon dangling from the air?

What's cute and silly and red all over?

Eleven days following her MMR vaccine and Kate has developed a rash on her torso and limbs. The doctor's office told me it is just a side effect of the shot and not to worry about it unless it lasts longer than 5 days.

When it first appeared last night I looked everywhere online for pictures of what "the side effect rash" would look like. I found nothing. Just in case there's another worried parent out there searching...this is what it looks like.

Fun For The Whole Family

Last weekend we visited the Love Jen Family Festival.This was the first time we had ever attended this festival, and didn't know what to expect. We had the best time, mostly because the whole event catered to small children -- the rides, the activites and the entertainment.

View Family Festival Pictures
Kate was very curious to see the characters, like Blue and Clifford. She would grab my hand or Ken's hand and pull us to them. The minute we got to the character, though, she would shy away.

Kate's latest TV enjoyment, The (imposter) Wiggles, performed a bunch of songs. Kate and I sang, danced and clapped while dad watched and took pictures.

The other main attractions for us were the petting zoo and the amusement rides. Ken and I both took turns on the big slide with Kate. And Kate and I rode the mini-carrousel with flying seats. There was a mini rollercoaster that caught Kate's eye...and ears. Every time the kids riding it went over a fast bump they would scream. Kate thought it sounded like a bunch of fun. This is a picture of her yelling back at the kids. Unfortunately, she was too little to ride it herself and Ken and I were too big to ride it with her.

We can't wait to visit this festival again next year. Not only did we have a blast but it was a great nap day. :-)
Posted by Jean-Marie at 03:11 PM

February 08, 2005

Lunch Date with Dominic

Today my friend Christina and her four and a half year old son Dominic joined Kate and I for a little lunch date at McDonald's. It was more of a play date than a lunch date, because there was a lot more playing than lunching going on.

As soon as Dominic was done with his chicken nuggets he was off to frolic on the outdoor playground. Kate only ate about half her meal, but she, of course, was ready to follow.

Dominic was very helpful and gentle with baby Kate (that's what he calls her). After Kate and I slid down the tunnel slide together, Dominic would pick up Kate off my lap and put her safely on the ground.

Kate had a blast hanging out with an older man, and after all that playing she slept quite soundly during her afternoon nap. Hooray for play!

February 07, 2005

15 Month Doctor Visit

The jig is up! Kate definitely knows this office and she definitely knows what happens here. As soon as we got into the examination room and started removing her clothes, Kate became uneasy. Then when the nurse started check Kate's temperature all hell broke lose. Kate began to sob and squirm.

Just barely we were able to get through acquiring her measurements -- 20lbs. 13 oz. and 31 1/4 inches. I'm a little skeptical though that those are indeed the correct measurements. I don't think you can accurately measure or weigh a toddler who is twisting and turning and crying and flailing. Needless to say, the whole experience for Kate and us was awful.

And that was only the beginning. We still had to get through the doctor examination and a MMR vaccine. That morning I put her in a little dress so we could get her dressed and ready to go right before her shot. That way we could leave right away after the shot to calm Kate down. No sense lingering in a place that makes Kate this upset.

Regarding the MMR vaccine, it's been 5 days since she's gotten it and so far there's been no side effects from it...knock on wood. From what I understand, though, side effects should occur 7 to 12 days following the shot. We've got our fingers crossed that she'll glide through the next two weeks without any problems...as if teething wasn't painful enough?

These are pictures of Kate sitting on dad's lap being distracted right after getting her measurements taken. She's emptying her food bag, taking a few sips of her drink and playing with a cold pack we brought for her pricked thigh. She actually looks pretty composed here. You should've seen her before...and after.